Saturday 6 April 2019

Classical singing of India

When I have gone to India I oftentimes have the opportunity to see a classical music concert.  When I was in Adelaide I got interested in classical singing as I accompanied Manik Panvelliwallah a classical singer in many concerts in the community there.

Singing is a meditative tradition as music and ragas in Indian music are connected to the Gods and devotion.

Here is a link which will illustrate the basics of this ancient tradition.



https://medicinepathpodcast.com/podcast/01-ramakantgundecha

Ramakant Gundecha is one half of the Gundecha Brothers, the foremost practitioners of dhrupad, an ancient form of Indian vocal music. After I attended a weeklong workshop with the brothers, Ramakant was kind enough to sit down with me for a short conversation about the origins of dhrupad, their lineage, singing as meditation, how Westerners and non-musicians can benefit from practicing dhrupad, and the mystical meaning of the syllable AH.


A few of my all time favourites are Pandit Jasraj, Mallikarjun Mansur, Bhimsen Joshi, Koishori Amonkar, Bade Gulam Ali Khan,




No comments:

Post a Comment